Skip to content ↓

The Governing Body

The Governing Body of St Joseph’s is responsible for the curriculum of the school, the welfare of its children and staff, the management of the premises and health and safety. They are also responsible for administering the delegated budget of the school. They have legal duties, powers and responsibilities and act together not individually. Our Governing Body consists of twelve members as follows:

  • 7 foundation governors appointed by the Diocese of Arundel and Brighton
  • 2 parent governors
  • 1 staff governors
  • 1 Local Authority governor
  • The Headteacher

The Governors meet as a full body once a term. Further committees formed from the Governing Body meet each term to discuss aspects of the school leadership and management. The Governors maintain close contact with the staff and school through regular visiting, monitoring and attending school events. Individual governors are linked to an area of the curriculum. As a Catholic Aided School, the Governors are responsible for finding 10% of the costs of maintaining the fabric of the school. The government through its various funding bodies will provide the remaining 90%. Non-denominational schools do not have this requirement as they receive 100% funding for approved projects. The Governors’ Fund is used to support building developments, which will maintain the safe and attractive environment and enhance the opportunities available for children. In recent years, capital projects have included a covered area for the Foundation Stage class, refurbishment of the offices and kitchen, the decoration and refurbishment of the school hall and the addition of a multi-functional room which houses our library and can be used for special needs groups and whole class activities such as class masses and circle time. More recently, the Governors helped fund the project to re-develop the infant playground to include new play equipment, upgraded the Computer Suite and are currently replacing the windows throughout the school. Our Governors also carry out their own fundraising enterprises and a Fundraising Committee has been set up to look at new ways of raising money for capital projects.